Author Topic: Moderation Rework - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 3896 times)

Offline CakeLancelot

• Reputation 17
    • View Profile
    • What do you think?
  • MC character:

Image of Cake_Lancelot

Moderation Rework - Discussion and Suggestions
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
Okay, it's been made clear to me that the moderation system doesn't seem to be perfect. While we have good mods, many have said we have too much, etc. I've been busy for the last few weeks and probably the next few weeks to come, so I've decided to take a more community driven approach to this problem. Post suggestions on how you think the moderation system can be improved, and I'll implement the best ideas. This includes things like mod specific rules, what permissions (see this for some more info) so they should have, and ranks moderation should be split up into.

Ideas that are implemented or accepted will be in this post, updated below:

Implemented

Accepted

• Most of yoshirider's suggestions.
  • Some others

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:17:12 PM by CakeLancelot »

Offline DmanSlayerxX

• Reputation 0
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of DmanSlayerxX

Re: Moderation Rework - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
I think that all the current mods should vote and keep 3 or 4 chatmods, that way you get a mature staff opinion of who they think should stay. If you take opinions from the players it will be too biased.

Offline Rob106

• Reputation 2
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of Rob106

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
Maybe have the players vote on moderators so the mods are players liked by the community rather than hated.... Like a few of the current chat mods... Not gonna mentions any names...

Offline MaskedSoulless

• Reputation 15
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of MaskedSoulless

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »
Though I agree with the idea of the mods voting on the chatmods , there is some bias that might occur because Megs and I know some of the chatmods through skype or as personal friends. So we think if anyone of the mods is to vote on the chatmods, its Yoshi.

Now, some of the mods (I cant speak for all of them) feel that there really is no point in having /fly if we cant use it toward moderating the server. Some suggestions that have come to my attention that I personally feel is doable is getting /v and /tp. There is no point in us having anything like op or ban because we have temp ban and we have no real use for op. The use of /tp,  /v, and /fly could be used by the moderators to look over people who are pointed out as cheating by another player. In this way we can provide proof to the admins if he/she was cheating in which the admins or owner can review and decide how to handle the person.

Offline DmanSlayerxX

• Reputation 0
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of DmanSlayerxX

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
Masked I would have to disagree with /v and /tp. This gives mods to much power, as then they would be able to get to anyones base whenever they please and that dosn't seem fair. You guys all may say that you wont do it but what if you tped to an allies base, they later became enemies and you could easily raid them. I think that to many problems come along with giving mods these commands.

I also think that /fly should be taken away from mods as it has no use other than traveling the world easier.

Offline MaskedSoulless

• Reputation 15
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of MaskedSoulless

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »
Eh, the thing is, it works just like flying. The mods have fly and tend to use fly every once in a while but we don't pvp with it. The other thing is there is only technically 3 mods because motorm has a crap computer and is very lazy. Sure, that can be a problem if we were to add a bunch of random mods but the people on are pretty much veterans and only Yoshi really pvps. Honestly we are nothing more than chatmods at this point because there is only 2 things setting us apart (technically 3 but I don't consider adminchat much of anything), fly and tempban.

Offline YoshiRider

• Reputation 1
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of YoshiRider1234

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
Alright in response to Cake_Lancelot's request I have been looking over the permissions and considering who should be apart of the server staff. I have also been thinking hard on what each staff rank should be allowed. Below you will find my recommendations for every member of staff and what permissions they should be allowed. I believe this to be a fair system that allows higher staff to check the lower staff while not abusing power.
First I think that the staff ranks should be broken down into five levels with those levels being, Owner, Admin, Head Moderator, Moderator, and Helper (AKA chatmod, I think they should be renamed).
Owner
Cake_Lancelot
Admin
(Admin Names Here)
Head Moderator:
YoshiRider1234
Moderators:
MaskedSoulless and Megs74p
The Helpers:
DaYosh1, PlentESkillsYT, and imnotcrazy777, DecemberBlue

Staff Rank Permissions
Admins:
Ban - Ban anyone of lower rank and all other admins should be alerted when a ban is handed out. They should also be able to ban offline players
Banip - Basically the same as ban
Broadcast - For important news and things of that nature
Enderchest - Admins should be allowed to look into a player's enderchest and modify it when there are cheated items. Admins should not be allowed to do this to each other.
Invsee - Admins should be allowed to look into a player's inventory and modify it when there are cheated items. Admins should not be allowed to do this to each other.
Kick - Admins should be able to kick players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a member of staff kicks another player.
Mute - Admins should be able to mute players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a member of staff mutes another player.
Socialspy - Make sure everyone is keeping on the up and up
Tempban - Admins should be able to tempban players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a member of staff tempbans another player.
Jail - Admins should be able to jail players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a member of staff jails another player. they should also be able to jail offline players.
Vanish - Admins should be able to interact while vanished, change the vanish status of other staff members and see other admins and lower staff if they are vanished.
fly - quicker movement
tp - Too spy on people and check out issues

Head Moderator
Enderchest - Should be allowed to look into a player's enderchest to look for cheated items.  Should not be allowed to do this to staff of higher rank.
Invsee - Should be allowed to look into a player's inventory to check for cheated items. Should not be allowed to do this to staff of higher rank.
Kick - Should be able to kick players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a lower member of staff kicks another player.
Mute - Should be able to mute players of lower rank and this rank should be notified when a lower member of staff mutes another player.
Socialspy - Make sure everyone is keeping on the up and up
Tempban - Should be able to tempban players of lower rank, they should be notified when a lower member of staff tempbans another player.
Jail - should be able to jail players of lower rank, and should be notified when a lower member of staff jails another player. They should also be able to jail offline players.
Vanish - Should be able to vanish and see lower staff if they are vanished.
fly - quicker movement
tp - Too spy on people and check out issues

Enderchest - Should be allowed to look into a player's enderchest to look for cheated items.  Should not be allowed to do this to staff of higher rank.
Invsee - Should be allowed to look into a player's inventory to check for cheated items. Should not be allowed to do this to staff of higher rank.
Kick - Should be able to kick players of lower rank, but not each other and they should be notified when a lower member of staff kicks another player.
Mute - Should be able to mute players of lower rank and this rank should be notified when a lower member of staff mutes another player.
Tempban - Should be able to tempban players of lower rank but not each other, and they should be notified when a lower member of staff tempbans another player.
Jail - should be able to jail players of lower rank, but not each other and should be notified when a lower member of staff jails another player. They should also be able to jail offline players.
Vanish - Should be able to vanish, but have potion effects and see other Moderators if they are vanished.
fly - quicker movement
tp - to spy on people and check on issues

Helpers
Kick - This rank should be able to kick any player not on staff.
Mute - Should be allowed to mute players not on staff and they should be allowed to mute offline players.
Jail - Should be allowed to jail players not on staff and they should be allowed to jail offline players.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:34:30 PM by YoshiRider1234 »

Offline MaskedSoulless

• Reputation 15
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of MaskedSoulless

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »
Yoshi, I love how you put (Admin Names Here). The admins are Oscar1787, lilDZombieKill3r, creeper65432,and AsherTruman.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:43:36 PM by MaskedSoulless »

Offline YoshiRider

• Reputation 1
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of YoshiRider1234

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
I didn't know the admins' names

Offline DmanSlayerxX

• Reputation 0
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of DmanSlayerxX

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
The new ranks are a great idea! But I still think it is to op for a head moterator or any rank lower to have /tp. Vanish I get and that is fair to me but giving /tp to a player who plays the game constantly and raids, pvps, and all sorts of things just like any other player.

Admins for instance have /tp but they do not raid or anything like that, what I am getting at is that they are not playing like us players. They are helping and making the server a better place. So I think that tp is an unfair advantage to all playing players.

Lastly fly has no point, are you expecting to find a hacker by flying? I don't think so. (sorry I just don't think it's fair)

Offline MaskedSoulless

• Reputation 15
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of MaskedSoulless

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
I think its perfect. The only mod the pvps is Yoshi and he is very mature with not using /fly. I know you're problem with it is valid though I personally know why you're against /fly which is because the EULA prevents us from giving /fly to donators.

You also have to take into consideration, how many Admins get on much anymore? I know they are busy but we don't feel right asking for admin because of a past incident nor do we think its necessary but in order to really help the server more than a helper, we need more than just being vanished.

Offline YoshiRider

• Reputation 1
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of YoshiRider1234

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »
While valid points, taking fly, vanish and tp away from the mods seriously limits their usefulness on the server. Also if a mod or any staff is caught abusing their powers then they are to be reported and taken off staff or demoted. The reason the mods need the commands stems from a lack of admin presence on the server.

Offline DmanSlayerxX

• Reputation 0
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of DmanSlayerxX

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
That is true that they are usefull without these commands, fly and vanish I can agree with but /tp? The reason you guys are ok with this is because you are the mods. You guys will be getting the benefit out of this. If you asked any average player on the server if they think it is fair that mods can go to their base whenever they want what do you think they would say.

Think about what it would be like to be in a players shoes knowing that people have their chords or can visit them whenever they please. All a mod has to do is screenshot the chords and say that they just found the base with /f map.

I don't it is fair to give players that compete against us such power.

Offline MaskedSoulless

• Reputation 15
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of MaskedSoulless

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
Dman, you also realize we were once player. We know what it feels like, we also know what it feels like to be called "nonreal staff", so on and so forth. We benefit in the terms that we get powers but we have been here so long, the 3 people with powers play legit.

This isn't comparing us to a normal player now, this is us working together to help the server. That's what all 3 of us want, not abilities that we can mess around with to raid or pvp.

Offline YoshiRider

• Reputation 1
    • View Profile
  • MC character:

Image of YoshiRider1234

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
The current moderator are the longest players on the server, we have already raided and fought. ShadowDragons, Chaotic and Revolution are rich in resources. We have no use for materials. Plus while I agree these powers are unfair in the wrong hands they are also helpful to keep cheaters, hacks and idiots off the server. Plus using any power in a fight or raid is against the server rules and will cause a demotion or kick from the staff.